Everyone deserves to feel confident in their body. For many people, a fuller, rounder bottom would help with that. By enhancing the buttocks, the entire silhouette can be improved. Rather than getting implants, more and more people are coming to us for a Brazilian butt lift instead. This innovative technique for body enhancement involves transferring fat to your backside, leaving you with natural, long-lasting results. Whether your booty has changed as a result of pregnancy, age, or weight loss, or you have simply never liked how it looked, this treatment can help!
What Exactly is a Brazilian Butt Lift?
This procedure is growing in popularity, and for good reason. It is entirely possible that you have heard the name thrown around but do not know exactly what it means. A Brazilian butt lift is a type of buttock augmentation procedure. Traditionally, buttock augmentation involved the placement of implants. While this is a perfectly acceptable method of enhancing the buttocks, not everyone was comfortable with the idea.
A Brazilian butt lift is a far less invasive procedure. It involves harvesting fat from an area in which you have more than you would like, such as the stomach or thighs, and placing it in the buttocks. The result is a firmer, shapelier, younger-looking backside.
This procedure is called a lift because the fat is added in the buttocks in a way that adds volume and lift. As a result, you get more volume as well as a perkier, younger-looking shape. It is a great treatment option if you think your backside is flat or sagging.
The Brazilian Butt Lift Procedure
This surgery involves multiple main steps. They are:
- Harvest the Fat: The fat to be injected is removed from the chosen area. This is a great way to get rid of pesky love handles or other problem areas that have not responded to exercise!
- Purify the Fat: The fat is then processed and prepared to be injected. A specialized process is used to purify the fat without destroying any of the fat cells that will be used.
- Injecting the Fat: Injections will be made in the predetermined areas in order to help you achieve the buttocks you have always wanted!
Overall, the procedure is quite simple. It can be performed using general anesthesia, depending on certain factors and your preferences. Although it is an outpatient procedure, you will want to bring along someone to drive you to and from the operation. How long you may need to take off work is something that will be discussed at your consultation and depends largely on the type of work you do and other factors.
Recovering from a Brazilian Butt Lift
Following your procedure, there will be a recovery period. This is typically much shorter than with traditional butt augmentation procedures. However, it all depends on the unique case. While you will be able to immediately see an improvement in the shape and size of your buttocks, please note that swelling will make it difficult to see what the final result will look like. A compression garment will be advised in order to control swelling and speed recovery. The full impact of your procedure can typically be seen in the weeks and months afterward.
In order to give the newly transferred fat cells the best possible chance to survive in their new home, you will need to avoid putting pressure on them. For a set amount of time following the procedure, it will be important to not put pressure on the buttocks. This means side or stomach sleeping and avoiding sitting.
There are some lifestyle changes that can be adopted in the weeks following your procedure to help keep you comfortable. On top of wearing a compression garment and avoiding sleeping on your back, you may want to:
- Invest in a donut pillow for when you absolutely must sit
- After the first week or so, begin walking regularly to improve circulation
- Strap a tennis ball to your back to prevent you from laying on it in your sleep
- When returning to work, use a standing desk if possible
- Avoid hot tubs and pools until completely healed
- Wear loose-fitting clothing other than your compression garment
- Stay hydrated
- Follow any personalized aftercare instructions you are given
In the long-term, keeping your weight stable is the best way to maintain your Brazilian butt lift results. Changes in your weight can impact your body shape, including your buttocks.
What Can the Brazilian Butt Lift Do For You?
Not sure if this is the procedure that will help you reach your body goals? This may be the appropriate treatment choice for you if you feel:
- Your body is not proportionate
- Your buttocks have begin to change with age
- Rounding out your buttocks will improve your figure
- You could benefit from losing fat in one area and gaining it in the buttocks
- You have never been happy with the shape and/or size of your buttocks
How Long Does a Brazilian Butt Lift Last?
One of the most frequent questions asked is how long the results from the procedure will last. In theory, the results can last for years. The fat cells that are successfully transplanted will live and act like normal fat cells. They can feasibly last for a long time in their new home. Weight fluctuations can impact how your new buttocks look. The natural aging process will also impact the shape and size of your backside.
Your actions during the recovery period can also greatly impact how long-term your results may be. Avoiding driving and strenuous exercise is important. It is also important to maintain a healthy lifestyle, including diet and exercise, following your procedure.
Benefits of the Brazilian Butt Lift Over Implants
You may be wondering if it wouldn’t be simpler to just pick out implants to give you the ideal body shape. There are actually several reasons why a fat transfer is a better idea in many cases. They include:
- Less chance of rejection: Since the fat is harvested from your own body, there is very little chance of it being rejected after injections. Although not common, some people do have negative reactions to implants.
- More natural shape: Once settled, the fat will take on a much more natural appearance than implants. No one will be able to tell you had a buttock augmentation procedure done.
- Remove unwanted fat: If you are struggling to remove fat from an area of the body, why not kill two birds with one stone? This procedure can take you TWO steps closer to the body of your dreams!
- Quicker recovery period: The techniques used in this procedure are generally less involved. This results in a quicker recovery period and you getting back to your normal life faster. The recovery period is also considered to be more comfortable than with a traditional buttock augmentation using implants.
Who is a Good Candidate for the Brazilian Butt Lift?
Due to the fact that this procedure requires harvesting fat, it is important to have enough excess fat in an area to use. The ideal candidate is someone who is at or close to their weight goals but may be struggling with a “problem area” or two. If you do not have adequate fat for the procedure, you may be advised to try a different buttock augmentation technique. The other option is to gain a little weight in a safe and healthy manner. All of your options can be discussed at your consultation.
Although this procedure will eliminate fat in an area of the body, it is not meant to be a weight loss procedure. Again, the ideal candidate is already near their goal weight. One of the bonuses about the Brazilian butt lift is that the removed fat cells will not grow back, giving you potentially permanent fat loss in the area.
Good candidates for this procedure will be in good health. They are at least 18 years old. A good candidate is someone who understands the process and goes into it with realistic expectations for the recovery and their results. It is important to not smoke both before and after your procedure. This is because smoking affects how efficiently oxygen and other nutrients can travel through your bloodstream. Not smoking ensures that your body heals as quickly as possible and that your newly transferred fat cells have the best possible chance of surviving.
What to Expect at Your Consultation
Like with any surgical procedure, a consultation is required first to create a treatment plan and ensure that this is the right procedure choice for you. You can expect questions about your medical history as well as current medications and supplements you are taking. This is also a great opportunity to ask any lingering questions you have about the experience.
A physical examination will be done as well. This allows us to give you an idea of how much fat can potentially be harvested and what kind of results can reasonably be expected. Keep in mind that it is expected that only a percentage of transferred fat cells will survive. This means it may be recommended that we transfer more than necessary in order for your end result to be near your goal. However, it all depends on the unique situation.
We invite you to learn more about the Brazilian butt lift performed by our expert team at Burt & Will Plastic Surgery. Scheduling your consultation is the first step in the process. If you are unhappy with the shape or size of your buttocks, this might just be the treatment option that is perfect for you! We have offices located in Burr Ridge, Plainfield, Morris, and Limelight. Contact us today to book an appointment and get started!